Neither better, not worse, just different
This book describes the diversity sensitization program applied in several greek elementary schools during the period 2002-2005. The general goals of the program were to help educators implement an anti-bias education and diversity training curriculum and more specifically the objectives of each module were:
- To recognize and express emotions (Mayer & Salovey, 1997) as they pertain to differences, prejudice and discrimination.
- To honour similarities and differences (Gaertner & Dovidio, 2000) and examine diverse points of views.
- To promote social awareness-empathy and perspective taking (Gibbs, 2003; Selman, 2003).
- To understand the mechanisms of how stereotypes develop (Allport, 1954; Barrett, 2007; Fiske, 2004) and explore how prejudice and bias come about.
- To recognize ways through which stereotypes can be overturned and apply these methods (Fiske, 1992; Fiske, 2000; Fiske, Cuddy, Glick & Xu, 2002; Fiske, 2004; Lee & Fiske 2006; Fiske, Cuddy & Glick, 2007 and Fiske, 2008).
- To develop effective communication techniques in dealing with controversy (Isaacs, 1999).
- To take positive social action against biases, stereotypes and prejudice (Gibbs, 2003; Gilligan, 1982; Noddings, 1984; Selman, 2003).